Automatic Brights

uswrnk54

TRX Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Anyone else have their automatic brights (headlights) not function consistently? If there are not headlights pointing back at me, or tail lights in front of me shouldn't the brights come on 100% of the time when I push the stalk forward? Are there other scenarios that would cause the brights not to engage? I've been on dark country roads trying to engage my brights and they won't turn on. Other times they work flawlessly.

Thanks in advance for any input.

The only scenario I can think of you might have missed is speed.. Any less than -25mph or so they shut off.

Mine work very well & and I live 8 miles out a country road so I use them alot.

Anyone else have their automatic brights (headlights) not function consistently? If there are not headlights pointing back at me, or tail lights in front of me shouldn't the brights come on 100% of the time when I push the stalk forward? Are there other scenarios that would cause the brights not to engage? I've been on dark country roads trying to engage my brights and they won't turn on. Other times they work flawlessly.

If your headlights are set to “on”, you won’t get auto brights. You only get auto brights when your headlights are set to “auto”, and the stalk is pushed forward.
That has been my experience, at least.

I do like the way it works in the 392 better than the Ram, pushing the stalk forward just clicks and lets the system know to turn the brights on or off, it doesn't have to stay in the forward position. The setting is remembered between starts as well.

Reflective road signs can cause the auto-brights not to engage. At least along my road...mine will go on and off at certain road signs.

The only scenario I can think of you might have missed is speed.. Any less than -25mph or so they shut off.

Mine work very well & and I live 8 miles out a country road so I use them alot.
Mine seem to work at less than 25mph. I am actually pleased with mine.

I concur with the reflective road sign comment. The sensors mistake light reflecting back at them as oncoming cars… the high beams are very bright, and reflections off of road signs, or dense foliage at the windshield level will cause them to disengage.

Anyone else have this issue? I was driving over Rabbit Ears pass on Friday night (super dark and not many signs or traffic). Headlight switch was in Auto and the stalk pushed forward, but the brights wouldn’t come on. When I toggled the stalk the message on the dash would say Auto High Beams Enabled, but brights never came on. Ended up switching the headlight switch to On, and manually engaging. I was going over the 10/25 mph mentioned here. They’ve always worked great in the past, this is a new issue.

Anyone know where the sensor is? With winter mess of roads, it could be dirty/covered. Is it behind the windshield near the rearview mirror?

Back