Audio Upgrade Without Replacing Audio Components

SpamSpamSpam

TRX Fiend
Gallery
Reaction score
So I’m the type of middle aged guy that grew up in the 80’s and 90’s. Big booming stereos is what I expect out of a factory stereo but hardly ever receive.

With that said, when I received delivery of my TRX with HK 19 speaker system, I was largely underwhelmed and began planning my system.

After visiting multiple stereo shops in Houston, I realized no one can please my middle age crotchety-ass better than myself and decided to order product from Crutchfield.

JL Stealthbox, amp, PAC interface, wiring.... ran into a multitude of factory defects on equipment which left me shuffling equipment in and out.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I found myself applying sound deadening mat to the back wall and then reverting back to the HK sub.

Im here to tell ya, insulation on that rear wall made a huge difference for me and my factory set up. After insulating the real wall, dealing with faulty aftermarket equipment, and reinstalling the factory HK sub, all I can say is wow! My 17yo son who has been my right hand man through all of this even mentioned how perhaps I shouldn’t upgrade any longer. Now I don’t believe the improvement is all that great, I would suggest for anyone who is disappointed in the factory sound, has the HK 19 speaker setup, doesn’t want to upgrade, but wants some subtle improvements, check out the sound deadening pad options available.

This is the padding I purchased

Last edited:
When I click on the link it tells me URL can’t be shown.

So not really dealing with the rear seat backs (except to install the du-ha under seat storage) how do you access the rear sub, I can’t see any release so I am assuming you have to remove the seat bolts?

Any Picts of where you added material for best results or did you just put it everywhere?
Stupid me for not taking any pictures - sorry!

when you remove the rear seats and then the liner on the rear wall, there’s a (prepare yourself for a highly intellectual term) shit-ton-load of wires across the rear wall.
I removed the factory sub and then was able to line approximately 90% of the area. There are a lot of wires and electronic continents which if you take your time you will be able to work around. One person working alone, perhaps 60-90 minutes.

So not really dealing with the rear seat backs (except to install the du-ha under seat storage) how do you access the rear sub, I can’t see any release so I am assuming you have to remove the seat bolts?
The rear sub is behind the passengers side rear seat. The obvious mounting features are the seat mount bolts found along the floor.
The forward facing bolts halt an inverted torx bolt which you can remove with a 10mm socket. The rear seat bolt is a 18mm (I believe) bolt. A T50 socket head comes in handy for removing other seatbelt posts but it’s not required.

with the above stated, you can access the rear sub. Let me know if this is not so straight forward - I can take step by step pictures and post accordingly.

The rear sub is behind the passengers side rear seat. The obvious mounting features are the seat mount bolts found along the floor.
The forward facing bolts halt an inverted torx bolt which you can remove with a 10mm socket. The rear seat bolt is a 18mm (I believe) bolt. A T50 socket head comes in handy for removing other seatbelt posts but it’s not required.

with the above stated, you can access the rear sub. Let me know if this is not so straight forward - I can take step by step pictures and post accordingly.
Your description was perfect thanks for the quick response!

There should be a pull bungee behind the passenger and driver rear seat that releases each side from the rear cab wall. The best way to gain access to the bungee is to recline the seats, pull down the center arm rest and feel towards the middle top of each. Pulling the release bungee will release the seat back from the cab and you can pull it forward to access the sub.

Just a quick question, you linked 36sq ft worth of sound deadening material. You didn't require all of this material since we're just talking about doing the back wall, right? TIA, just didn't want to order a bunch of excess material.

Just curious...what improvements did you notice with the soundproofing? I got the hk system in my build, but I wont get to hear it for many months unfortunately

Tomorrow cartoys is installing dynamat on on back wall and on floorboard to back of front seats... Based on your post excited to hear the results

Tomorrow cartoys is installing dynamat on on back wall and on floorboard to back of front seats... Based on your post excited to hear the results
After you get it done, please update with your thoughts on how this affects bass performance. I listened to the Alpine system in person, and thought it was good. I upgraded to the HK system without hearing it in person thinking it must sound better than the Alpine since it is an “upgrade”. Based on the reviews, I’m not sure that’s the case, and I doubt it will have enough bass for me. If this is a simple and cheap fix, it’s money well spent!

If you don’t mind me asking, about how much will that cost? I imagine it’s very labor intensive,,

eta, what’s your handle on Tigerdroppings?:ROFLMAO:

N
After you get it done, please update with your thoughts on how this affects bass performance. I listened to the Alpine system in person, and thought it was good. I upgraded to the HK system without hearing it in person thinking it must sound better than the Alpine since it is an “upgrade”. Based on the reviews, I’m not sure that’s the case, and I doubt it will have enough bass for me. If this is a simple and cheap fix, it’s money well spent!
Will do

If you don’t mind me asking, about how much will that cost? I imagine it’s very labor intensive,,

N

$850 I'll have approx 22 Sq ft of material left over. My lic plate

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210721-215826_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210721-215826_Gallery.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 39
Back