Anyone have a klunk,kick in the ass feeling when just about to stop/ start

Giving up is a great way to go. What are you going to move to?
Oh, maybe it was not clear. I’m ditching that truck and moving to a TRX. If the new truck does the same thing, I may move to a custom tune. At the very least the TRX will be much nicer than my current Denali, and it will have zero miles and a new warranty.

I’ve got the same issue. Waiting for something to fall out from under the truck before I go through the 100 questions from Dodge’s service. It feels and sounds like junk.

Oh, maybe it was not clear. I’m ditching that truck and moving to a TRX. If the new truck does the same thing, I may move to a custom tune. At the very least the TRX will be much nicer than my current Denali, and it will have zero miles and a new warranty.
I like that clarification much better (apologies for previous snarkiness)

Any news on this ? My dealer said it is perfectly normal with the 8 speed transmissions, but I still believe it is annoying and of course fixable…

Any news on this ? My dealer said it is perfectly normal with the 8 speed transmissions, but I still believe it is annoying and of course fixable…
Same here went to dealer told me same crap , it has got worse , only does it after truck reaches operating temp

Have any of you guys with the clunk checked your fluid levels in the differential?

My old trucks would do that with a slip yoke that needed greased. Thankfully mine is clunk free so far

My old trucks would do that with a slip yoke that needed greased. Thankfully mine is clunk free so far
Same here clunk free... for now

Just left the dealership. They think it’s the rear body mounts. So their going to replace those and also the rear shocks and the shock that mounts to the rear end housing. I’ll report back hopefully with good news next week.

Just left the dealership. They think it’s the rear body mounts. So their going to replace those and also the rear shocks and the shock that mounts to the rear end housing. I’ll report back hopefully with good news next week.
That is not a cheap fix. Those shocks are expensive as hell

That is not a cheap fix. Those shocks are expensive as hell
Thank god for warranty! I was already getting the drivers side rear shock replaced because the sticker was coming off. They wouldn’t just replace the sticker they replace the whole shock. Lol

Im at 7,000 miles and have started noticing the same clunk. My Tacoma did it for years and I never had any issues with it, but if there is a solution I'd really like to know. Pretty sure the truck didn't do this before.

There are a couple things that cause this that are normal. But don't assume this is what's happening. Ask the questions at the dealer. 1st is the learning process of the truck. It attempts to adjust to your driving as noted. This should resolve itself. If it does not then it can be reset to relearn your driving. 2nd is cold trans fluid. If the fluid has not warmed up enough you will get a hard couple up and down shifts in 1st and 2nd gear. There is a BGATF flush/treatment that worked miracles on the 8 speed in my regular ram. I would consult the dealer about weather to use it in the TRX. "Should" be good.

Last edited:
There are a couple things that cause this that are normal. But don't assume this is what's happening. Ask the questions at the dealer. 1st is the learning process of the truck. It attempts to adjust to your driving as noted. This should resolve itself. If it does not then it can be reset to relearn your driving. 2nd is cold trans fluid. If the fluid has not warmed up enough you will get a hard couple up and down shifts in 1st and 2nd gear. There is a BGATF+4 flush/treatment that worked miracles on the 8 speed in my regular ram. I would consult the dealer about weather to use it in the TRX. "Should" be good.
Maybe we’re all experiencing something different. Mine feels like the spare tire is loose but it’s not. It feels like a rubberized bumping after taking off at every stoplight before I even make it to 5mph. I’m probably the the only one in this whole forum that averages 12-13 MPG. Lol. So there should be no reason the transmission should be doing this.

I have about 4K+ miles and I now have this as well. SUCKS!!! I had a 2013 Sport that did the same and got rid of it because of it. In that truck it was only when I was in 4 wheel drive. I can't place what's going on but the feeling rear-ended its the best way to describe it as the truck seems to move forward an inch or so after. I dread going to the dealer and hearing the "I didn't notice anything".

I have the same issue and have noticed it getting progressively worse as my odometer creeps up past 9k miles. Granted it does feel awkward but I suppose that’s what the warranty is for. Btw, my wife drives a 2020 Audi SQ5 which is also AWD. Her suv has done the same thing since day one.

Good news ? I have a feeling it’s the middle shock that mounts to the rear housing…

Back