Cnterline

TRX Fan
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2020 Mercedes GTC
Military
NYPD/NCPD
Had my truck like 4000 miles and lately it feels like as I’m slowing down just about to stop there’s a clunk in the rear and sometimes when I start accelerating the same thing I’m hoping it’s just something that has to do with the all wheel drive or maybe a bushing in the back almost feels like there’s a ring gear tooth missing sometimes lol , doesn’t do it when it’s cold but it does happen a lot

Waiting for it to get bad enough so they don’t give me the unable to duplicate CUstomer complaint

Had my truck like 4000 miles and lately it feels like as I’m slowing down just about to stop there’s a clunk in the rear and sometimes when I start accelerating the same thing I’m hoping it’s just something that has to do with the all wheel drive or maybe a bushing in the back almost feels like there’s a ring gear tooth missing sometimes lol , doesn’t do it when it’s cold but it does happen a lot
🙋‍♂️

Yes, it's the transmission. Myself and the lead tech at my local dealer both have the same issue with our TRXs. I believe it is the transmission trying to adapt to your driving habits. He told me it happens on the regular 1500s as well with the 5.7. They had FCA involved with the 5.7, put a new transmission in, but the symptom remained. When I take it easy on it for a few days it stops. It's only when I drive it pretty hard that it starts doing it again.

Yes, it's the transmission. Myself and the lead tech at my local dealer both have the same issue with our TRXs. I believe it is the transmission trying to adapt to your driving habits. He told me it happens on the regular 1500s as well with the 5.7. They had FCA involved with the 5.7, put a new transmission in, but the symptom remained. When I take it easy on it for a few days it stops. It's only when I drive it pretty hard that it starts doing it again.
Last minute downshift or it’s in 2nd and when you start out it shifts int 1st

Same. I was told could be gas moving back and forth in tank. Supposedly known problem with Ram trucks with larger tank.I feel it. It’s annoying. I brought into dealer and they said could not duplicate.

I have the same issue. It feels like something shifts in the rear of the truck. It's never just taking off or breaking by itself. If it does it while breaking it will 100% off the time do it when taking off from that stop. Dealer could not duplicate. If it does it while stopping I always ease into accelerating because I'm worried about tearing something up.

Last vehicle I had that did this, was the slip yoke going into the transmission needed to be greased. It would bind under braking, then release on acceleration.
Odd thing is it only does it one way either on final stop or when you let off break but never both ? I will check yoke anyway now that you mentioned it . Feels like some sort of clutch slip it has tension on it if that makes sense, it’s not a loose hit like a bad universal would feel like

Last vehicle I had that did this, was the slip yoke going into the transmission needed to be greased. It would bind under braking, then release on acceleration.
Brand new ???
Makes perfect sense though

I heard this from someone else. I haven't had a chance to check it out.

Interesting read here - I've had similar noises on my Raptor as well. Don't have my TRX yet so I can't confirm this is it

Seems like this is common on Rams as well. Several threads to read on other forums.

Last edited:
Might be the typical 2-to-1 bump some 8 speeds have in the RAM's. I've noticed it in multiple Mopar vehicles, except for the V6'es.
The transmission is rock solid. Many of my friends have some version of it in their cars and even Rolls Royce uses them. Chrysler's programming is just ... not very good (hoping I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here). The transmission is also constantly picking up new patterns. If you'd do a lot of stop and go, it smoothes out again.

Dealer can also make it learn from scratch again (or you can disconnect the battery), which will solve it temporarily, but it'll pick up some weird pattern again sooner or later and do it again for a little while — if it's still the same issue.

I had the same issue in my 2018 Rebel. Only slowing to a stop. Dealer said the same. They said i needed to drive it more so it learns my habits like he said. The more you drive it the more it learns.

Back