Another TRX Stolen in Houston (Now Recovered)

Like the 2nd post said...........if you dont like the out of control car theft, due to nearly ZERO punishment and ZERO investigation of Grand Theft Auto........VOTE on Nov. 8th!

Here in CO, we are NUMBER ONE in liberals who hold elected office and NUMBER ONE in car thefts!!!!!!
Coincidence ???????

OP .....I hope you get your truck back into primo shape after the low life fuckers stole it !
If the insurance company tries to screw you around, hire a Public Adjusted to help you out !

Texas does not require your insurance company to pay diminished value to you as a first party claimant but you can and should still push for it as a stolen/recovered damage repair is going to ding your CarFax when you go to sell it.

Yep, I had the 2500 PXL, and for a couple months had a TRX alongside it. In terms of size, the PXL makes the TRX feel like a sedan by comparison.

It’s my favorite truck I ever owned. I just sold it to someone in Montana, but I’m going in to my local dealer on Friday to order a 23 Power Wagon. I’ll do a different build the next time, using Carli/Thuren for suspension. AEV does a very good job, but there are some things I would do differently.

It was my daily driver, which for the most part was awesome, and I got used to the size pretty easily. But, parking garages were an issue, and there were more than a couple of times when I’d get somewhere and couldn’t find a parking space big enough (or accessible to a truck that tall/wide).

On the other hand, building it out as a travel/camping truck was so much fun, and my son and I loved getting out there.

I’m excited to build another one using the gas platform. The diesel cost premium isn’t worth it for what I do (no towing).
Don't go gasser! Even if you don't tow, it'll be a dog with 40s.

Carli/Thuren make incredible stuff. I had their 2.5 king kit on my 08 2500 and had that thing in the air. Super fun and back when 35s were cool.

1667406375118.png
1667406382285.png

Carli/Thuren make incredible stuff. I had their 2.5 king kit on my 08 2500 and had that thing in the air. Super fun and back when 35s were cool.

View attachment 54842View attachment 54843
A power wagon with the 6.4 on 40’s with stock gears - yes it will be a dog. However gears can fix that.

A power wagon with the 6.4 on 40’s with stock gears - yes it will be a dog. However gears can fix that.
Gears would definitely help but nothing like the torque a diesel has.

There's always the 2500 Rebel if you need a Cummins. 🍻

View attachment 54842View attachment 54843
Yeah, I think for me a lot of the decision is about the premium for driving diesel - not only the $10k buy-in, but the fact that diesel (in my part of the world) is about $2.50/gal more expensive that gas.

I am also thinking I won't go bigger than 37" tires, so the 4.10 should be OK. For what I do, 37s would be completely fine, and less expensive as well (I had a hard time locating 40s, much less wanting to pay the premium they've been commanding).

If the 4.10 seems inadequate, I can always re-gear since the PW uses 4th gen axles. AEV uses 5.13 when installing 40s on their PW Prospector builds, not sure if I'd go that high, but it's an option.

For me, going with 37s will be easier on the steering components...40" tires just put a lot of stress on components, and I had some failures with the PXL that were largely due to this, along with some questionable build choices made by AEV (like installing the lower front 3" shock in such a way that leads to shearing the mount from the axle).

Having said that, I drove a friend's PW with 40s and no re-gear, and it was incredible. Didn't miss the diesel at all, had plenty of pull for what I do.

Yeah, I think for me a lot of the decision is about the premium for driving diesel - not only the $10k buy-in, but the fact that diesel (in my part of the world) is about $2.50/gal more expensive that gas.

I am also thinking I won't go bigger than 37" tires, so the 4.10 should be OK. For what I do, 37s would be completely fine, and less expensive as well (I had a hard time locating 40s, much less wanting to pay the premium they've been commanding).

If the 4.10 seems inadequate, I can always re-gear since the PW uses 4th gen axles. AEV uses 5.13 when installing 40s on their PW Prospector builds, not sure if I'd go that high, but it's an option.

For me, going with 37s will be easier on the steering components...40" tires just put a lot of stress on components, and I had some failures with the PXL that were largely due to this, along with some questionable build choices made by AEV (like installing the lower front 3" shock in such a way that leads to shearing the mount from the axle).

Having said that, I drove a friend's PW with 40s and no re-gear, and it was incredible. Didn't miss the diesel at all, had plenty of pull for what I do.
I have a F550 gas truck that weighs 19k and its gets around just fine. (8.5-11mpg depending on what you're doing) To realize the "savings" in fuel mpg and services it would take the lifetime of the vehicle. That doesn't take into an account when the truck needs a fuel system or dpf or whatever decides to give up.

Well some bad news. Went out yesterday to clean the truck up and do a thorough damage inspection. I noticed the touchscreen wasn't fully locked in place so I pulled it. They had just unplugged stuff - nothing cut. After hooking everything back up, the XM, cameras, and gps came back to life. Then cleaned up the interior - damage was really just limited to trim around the rear window. I was feeling pretty damn good about the whole situation. Then I looked up. Had totally missed it the night before and yesterday morning. F***. How do you even do that without a clear impact point.

Anyone want to wager how bad that's going to hurt my resale value along with the theft on the carfax?

Any thoughts on that kind of repair? The paint is cracked, but it kind of seems like something they may be able to push/pull out with some determination rather than replacing the whole roof. A bit worried the sunroof will never seal properly again (although surprisingly it isn't leaking at the moment).

97B7F1CD-DACE-4B43-8BAC-1C165FEE2756_1_105_c.jpeg

Well some bad news. Went out yesterday to clean the truck up and do a thorough damage inspection. I noticed the touchscreen wasn't fully locked in place so I pulled it. They had just unplugged stuff - nothing cut. After hooking everything back up, the XM, cameras, and gps came back to life. Then cleaned up the interior - damage was really just limited to trim around the rear window. I was feeling pretty damn good about the whole situation. Then I looked up. Had totally missed it the night before and yesterday morning. F***. How do you even do that without a clear impact point.

Anyone want to wager how bad that's going to hurt my resale value along with the theft on the carfax?

Any thoughts on that kind of repair? The paint is cracked, but it kind of seems like something they may be able to push/pull out with some determination rather than replacing the whole roof. A bit worried the sunroof will never seal properly again (although surprisingly it isn't leaking at the moment).

View attachment 54958
Damn, that just sucks. Maybe the damage occurred when they tried to load it on the car hauler? I thought you got lucky on everything else but then this. Damn.

Any update on what happened with your insurance company? My truck was just stolen and recovered in the houston area too.

Any update on what happened with your insurance company? My truck was just stolen and recovered in the houston area too.
sorry about your truck bro! Care to share details on your story to maybe help others avoid the same fate?

sorry about your truck bro! Care to share details on your story to maybe help others avoid the same fate?
It was stolen overnight from my apartment's gated parking garage in the woodlands. I watched the security cam footage of a camera at the entrance to the garage - they came the night before and scouted out all of our building's garages, then came back and stole my truck the next night.

Ah that really sucks. Sorry to hear it.

My story is far from over unfortunately. My insurance co has been good to work with overall. Communication has sucked without me escalating, but they seem to be aligned with me when it comes to the definition of "pre loss condition". No pushback on any of the damage I'm claiming.

The body shop; however, has been a mess. Really annoying because it was recommended to me by multiple trustworthy people and they're a partner shop with my insurance. Seemed like a good bet. They had the truck for a little over two months and only partially fixed the list of issues I provided them with. On top of that, the things they did attempt to address are being redone as the repairs were piss poor. And the real icing on the cake was at least three places where they caused additional damage. When I went to pick it up and realized things were a mess, I went over their invoice and found a bunch of things they were charging for but didn't actually fix (like saying they painted a body panel which 100% had not been painted or "fixing" things that weren't damaged to begin with).

I had a long discussion with the insurance company with very good before and after documentation and we went back at the body shop. All three of us seemed to quickly get on the same page after I re-emphasized my evidence and starting talking about legal action and insurance fraud. Truck is currently back in repair and now the body shop is paying for my rental.

I won't publicly shame anyone yet - I'm pissed but if they get it right this time, I can let it go. That being said, it sounds like we live close to each other and the shop might be on your radar. Shoot me a message if you want to know which one it is.

I would've been taking it to another shop at that point. This is not your problem, it's the insurance companies. If they are partnering with a shop that has questionable ethics you can take it to any shop you wish.

Texas does not require your insurance company to pay diminished value to you as a first party claimant but you can and should still push for it as a stolen/recovered damage repair is going to ding your CarFax when you go to sell it.

Any advice on getting compensated for the diminished value?

I would've been taking it to another shop at that point. This is not your problem, it's the insurance companies. If they are partnering with a shop that has questionable ethics you can take it to any shop you wish.
In principle, yes, you are right. In reality, not much I can do without giving the original shop a chance to make good on their guarantee.

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers SDHQ Motorsports
Back