Amp Power Steps

Batman

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Ram TRX Blacked out, Lvl 2, sun roof, tech, safety & bed group
Does anyone know if the 2020 Ram Rebel Crew Cab Amp Steps will work for the 2021 TRX?
Wondering because it’s the same cab. Have to have those steps... once you live with them, its hard to live without

I looked thru the install doc and looks like all the steps for Ram 1500's are the same and you cut it down if you have a shorter cab. The steps plug into the OBDII port, so in theory it should work.
1603515320212.png

1603515426081.png

I had the Mopar power steps insatalled on my ‘19 Rebel and the install is better IMO. Either way once you have these it’s hard to do without! I will install ASAP

I have the factory power boards on my Ram 2500. At first I hated them, because I'd always forget they were coming down and they'd bang my shins. However I learned my lesson after about 50 times and now I absolutely love them. Didn't think it would be something I'd like, but the truck came with them. Now I'm dreading the idea of not having them.

Subscribed.
BTW, are the Mopar power steps the same price as AMP?

Anyone using the rock rails as a running board better install paint protection film on the rocker panels.

I went with factory running boards but if power boards are shown to work might go that route down the road.

I would be surprised if the suspension was in the way.... .

Looks like there’s plenty of room. .30 in:

We'll have to see if the suspension does interfere. I can't find any documentation or videos that state the changes to the frame like moving forward the rear control arms or whatever.

The only problem could be the rear control arms could be close to where the power steps motor mount but the AMP motors on the steps can be moved and might be able to do a custom mount here closer to the middle of the rear door
1603736699916.png

AMP will find a way, they always do.

Last year AMP said they were coming out with a phone app for their “smart series.” It acts as an override option and you can control the lights too. For some reason they haven’t released it yet. Hopefully they will have this out soon.

AMP will find a way, they always do.

Last year AMP said they were coming out with a phone app for their “smart series.” It acts as an override option and you can control the lights too. For some reason they haven’t released it yet. Hopefully they will have this out soon.
I like the idea of leaving them down when you’re in a parking lot to reduce the risk of door dings.

I like the idea of leaving them down when you’re in a parking lot to reduce the risk of door dings.
Amp also offers a hard wired switch for doing this as well.

This gives the benefit of leaving them in the Down position for cases like you mention here where you want ding protection in a parking lot, but also can allow you to leave them in the UP position if you are offroading, deep mud, snow, etc. and need to get out of the truck without having the step lower and hit something. This AMP setup does have some sophistication when installed because it will bridge the ODBII connector for feedback from the truck's door state. If you install the simple version of the AMP steps which are just hardwired to the door pins instead of to the trucks ODBII connector you can use any cheap two way switch do accomplish a similar setup. When the switch is ON, the steps work as expected from the door pins, when the switch is OFF, the steps ignore the doors and stay in whatever state they are in currently.

I've had the AMP's on my last several trucks. Hopefully they get it figured out real quick.

If I recall it correctly from my Power Wagon, mounted them 3 years ago, the Amp steps are mounted to the cab only and not to the frame where the rear suspesion is mounted, they don't fold in as far as the frame either, so there should be no major issues.

If I recall it correctly from my Power Wagon, mounted them 3 years ago, the Amp steps are mounted to the cab only and not to the frame where the rear suspesion is mounted, they don't fold in as far as the frame either, so there should be no major issues.

The picture below is from a Rebel getting Amp steps installed. Plenty of room but we don't how far forward those mounts have moved in order to get the extra suspension travel.
1605727886164.png

The picture below is from a Rebel getting Amp steps installed. Plenty of room but we don't how far forward those mounts have moved in order to get the extra suspension travel.

I tried to figure that out by the frame pictures that are available (1500 vs. TRX), but yet not sure about it, but the folding brackets slide to any position in the step, so sliding them forward and mounting them to the cab there should not be to hard.

I just did this comparison by the press photos and it actually seems the mount you mentioned is moved further back and integrated with the suspension mount. What do you guys think?

Ram-1500-2019 vs. TRX 2021 - frame.jpg

If you look the rear body mount is moved further back on the trx and the rear control arm mounts look slightly moved forward. More than likely the rear motor mount for the amp steps went into the location where the rear body mount was relocated.
When mine eventually shows up I'm thinking if I weld a plate slightly forward of the mount, the motor should clear, and steps should work. I didn't add any steps to my build for this purpose.
Screenshot_20201123-095550_Chrome.jpg

Was told by the dealership that the MOPAR steps fit. I ordered them and they will put them on when my truck gets here 🤞next week. I will let you know if they actually work.

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com
Back