Rextar

TRX Fanatic
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2012 SVT Raptor
Current Ride #2
2004 SRT-10
Apologize if this is in the wrong section, figured purchasing page was the right topic. Question on allocations vs. pre-orders or sold orders.

Been on the hunt, emailing 35 different dealers now about TRXs. 1/4 over sticker, 1/4 at sticker but not optioned how I want, 1/4 not interested in getting back about ordering, 1/4 actually getting back on allocations or pre-orders. I've never ordered a mopar new before (but owned several used lol, Stealth, NSRT4, CSRT4, SRT10), however I don't trust what any sales rep says regardless of manufacturer!

Is there any truth to this pre-order/sold-order thing vs. an allocation? Or is it just a response to snag a deposit then tap dance on "well we didn't have an allocation so it's out of our hands"?

Responses I've gotten:

"We don't have any allocations, but they opened up pre order on the TRX"

"For certain types of vehicles we are only allocated a certain amount to order. Since the TRX was new vehicle we were only allocated one when it first came out. Now the orders are open to dealerships and no longer subject to the allocation Restrictions."

"Unfortunately since we have no allocation left, its not a 100% guarantee, but we have placed 3 sold orders so far, and all three have vin numbers and are on the assembly line"

I'm okay if a pre-order/sold-order may have a longer waiting period than an allocation-order, I'd actually prefer to get the truck come spring/summer than one on the line right now, but is there any weight to this? I was under the impression that 100% of orders had to have an allocation. Thanks for any clarification!

Oh and while I'm at it, are most dealers non-refundable deposits? I've seen a couple mention it. I could see non-refundable if the truck is built/delivered and to your ordered spec, but if an order never makes build, I assume that would have to be refundable right?

PFA: The Dodge's of past years....(still have the SRT10).

Stealth.jpgbuttface08.jpgFD2.JPGSRT10-01.jpg

Sweet SRT-10! I used to have one years ago. I posted this in other thread:

I was told this is how allocation technically works. According to the dealer, allocation is usually intended for dealer stock units. In the case of the TRX or other desired vehicles the manufacturer allows dealers to replace those stock orders with sold customer orders. Sold customer orders without an allocation are not guaranteed (it’s doesn’t matter if it’s a TRX, tradesman or Laramie). That same dealer was able to get several unallocated sold customer orders picked up by the manufacturer and assigned a VIN.

in nutshell it’s best to find a dealer that has an allocated build spot if you’re looking for a specific list of options. Go to the MSRP dealer thread that’s how I decided on which dealer to go with. I ordered mine had a VIN in a week and got my letter from FCA two weeks later that my truck will be built by May. I’m not holding my breath, but I’m very much looking forward to this truck and my experience with my dealer has been great thus far.

Aka you’re rolling the dice if you don’t have an allocated build spot

Apologize if this is in the wrong section, figured purchasing page was the right topic. Question on allocations vs. pre-orders or sold orders.

Been on the hunt, emailing 35 different dealers now about TRXs. 1/4 over sticker, 1/4 at sticker but not optioned how I want, 1/4 not interested in getting back about ordering, 1/4 actually getting back on allocations or pre-orders. I've never ordered a mopar new before (but owned several used lol, Stealth, NSRT4, CSRT4, SRT10), however I don't trust what any sales rep says regardless of manufacturer!

Is there any truth to this pre-order/sold-order thing vs. an allocation? Or is it just a response to snag a deposit then tap dance on "well we didn't have an allocation so it's out of our hands"?

Responses I've gotten:

"For certain types of vehicles we are only allocated a certain amount to order. Since the TRX was new vehicle we were only allocated one when it first came out. Now the orders are open to dealerships and no longer subject to the allocation Restrictions."

"Unfortunately since we have no allocation left, its not a 100% guarantee, but we have placed 3 sold orders so far, and all three have vin numbers and are on the assembly line"

I'm okay if a pre-order/sold-order may have a longer waiting period than an allocation-order, I'd actually prefer to get the truck come spring/summer than one on the line right now, but is there any weight to this? I was under the impression that 100% of orders had to have an allocation. Thanks for any clarification!

Oh and while I'm at it, are most dealers non-refundable deposits? I've seen a couple mention it. I could see non-refundable if the truck is built/delivered and to your ordered spec, but if an order never makes build, I assume that would have to be refundable right?

View attachment 4818View attachment 4819View attachment 4820View attachment 4821
Those are some nice cars/trucks. I would go through these threads for the dealers people have some feedback on being MSRP dealers and good dealers. I wouldn't go with any dealer who doesn't know they have an allocation. You could just get a VON and be waiting for a long time.

Also drop your spec in the thread so on the off chance someone knows one that's close somewhere. Best of luck searching man. Hope you find one soon.

Thanks everyone.

I went thru those threads, however it's very spotty on dealers within a few hour radius of my area in NJ. With how dynamic it is too, some dealers may be at MSRP, only get a handful, then poof that resource is tapped out and in the same situation related to my question of pre-order/-pre-sold orders vs. allocations.

Thanks for the explanation though, so basically just a gamble if one comes in vs. a guarantee from an allocation. Makes sense. I sort of don't mind that since I'm not 100% sold I should get a TRX because I really don't need it lol. I really want one, but my 2012 Raptor is still mint, and I've got a CyberTruck reservation for a tri-motor that I figure I'll be getting in 18-24 months. I'm just bored since I've had my raptor 9 years and itching. Do I really *need* another truck to hold me over for just 18-24 months? No. Do I *want* a TRX to have some fun with this thing? Absolutely haha. (And keeping in mind I'm still keeping my SRT-10, and I have a 1,000 hp harley truck to race, and my wife's daily is a Tesla Model 3 Stealth Performance....lots of toys, I don't *need* this truck, I just want it lol)

Here's my build specs I want. Very specific on this since if I'm paying that coin, I want it how I want it, even if I won't have it another 9 years like my Raptor lol

Hydro Blue
-TR2
-Carbon Package
-Technology Group
-Advanced Safety Group
-Trailer Tow Group
-Hood Decals
-Power Fold Trailer Mirrors
-Beadlocks
-Running Boards
-19 Speaker HK Sound
-Dual Pane Sunroof
-TRX Red Accent Interior
-Trailer Reverse Steering Control

My last question, probably answered before but haven't ran across it, how late can dealers modify a build? Prior to D status, but how about in BX status? I have the shortcut sheet of each status, but getting gray answers from dealers on ability to modify at different stages. I'm trying to save the wasted time from both us by cutting to the chase, but dealers like to beat around the question hoping they'll still get a sale if I'll settle. An extra option I don't want, sure I'll settle. The wrong color and missing a big package, not a chance, stop wasting both our time! lol

Thanks everyone.

I went thru those threads, however it's very spotty on dealers within a few hour radius of my area in NJ. With how dynamic it is too, some dealers may be at MSRP, only get a handful, then poof that resource is tapped out and in the same situation related to my question of pre-order/-pre-sold orders vs. allocations.

Thanks for the explanation though, so basically just a gamble if one comes in vs. a guarantee from an allocation. Makes sense. I sort of don't mind that since I'm not 100% sold I should get a TRX because I really don't need it lol. I really want one, but my 2012 Raptor is still mint, and I've got a CyberTruck reservation for a tri-motor that I figure I'll be getting in 18-24 months. I'm just bored since I've had my raptor 9 years and itching. Do I really *need* another truck to hold me over for just 18-24 months? No. Do I *want* a TRX to have some fun with this thing? Absolutely haha. (And keeping in mind I'm still keeping my SRT-10, and I have a 1,000 hp harley truck to race, and my wife's daily is a Tesla Model 3 Stealth Performance....lots of toys, I don't *need* this truck, I just want it lol)

Here's my build specs I want. Very specific on this since if I'm paying that coin, I want it how I want it, even if I won't have it another 9 years like my Raptor lol

Hydro Blue
-TR2
-Carbon Package
-Technology Group
-Advanced Safety Group
-Trailer Tow Group
-Hood Decals
-Power Fold Trailer Mirrors
-Beadlocks
-Running Boards
-19 Speaker HK Sound
-Dual Pane Sunroof
-TRX Red Accent Interior
-Trailer Reverse Steering Control

My last question, probably answered before but haven't ran across it, how late can dealers modify a build? Prior to D status, but how about in BX status? I have the shortcut sheet of each status, but getting gray answers from dealers on ability to modify at different stages. I'm trying to save the wasted time from both us by cutting to the chase, but dealers like to beat around the question hoping they'll still get a sale if I'll settle. An extra option I don't want, sure I'll settle. The wrong color and missing a big package, not a chance, stop wasting both our time! lol
Thats a heck of a fleet. Blue is one of the rarest colors so will be hard to find. Maybe @KnightMare can answer that question about when you can change your order up too. I was told up to entering BG status by my dealer just now when I asked the sales rep. Like you said tho, the accuracy of dealer info has been patchy at best. You could find a good dealer that does MSRP orders and has good referrals from forum members and order a 22 for late summer. You would get Uconnect5 and the spec you want and skip the 2021 hunt process. I would think if you order went in now, you wouldn't get a truck till May or June so what's a few more months to get a 22.

I’m pretty sure someone was walking away from a hydro blue build in D status similar to your specs in Colorado in a previous thread

Thats a heck of a fleet. Blue is one of the rarest colors so will be hard to find. Maybe @KnightMare can answer that question about when you can change your order up too. I was told up to entering BG status by my dealer just now when I asked the sales rep. Like you said tho, the accuracy of dealer info has been patchy at best. You could find a good dealer that does MSRP orders and has good referrals from forum members and order a 22 for late summer. You would get Uconnect5 and the spec you want and skip the 2021 hunt process. I would think if you order went in now, you wouldn't get a truck till May or June so what's a few more months to get a 22.

Yeah it's very specific lol. I could settle with a LE but they're obviously even harder to find at MSRP. Billet and White are also appealing, but seem to be just as hard to find. I don't mind ordering since I'm not in a big rush and I can get exactly what I want.

Not interested in waiting for a 22 though. If I can't get a 21, I'll just pass on it till my CT arrives. Sure 22 may open for orders later in the summer, but doubtful they'll arrive before late in the year, and same deal with the hunt, although hopefully a little easier to find at sticker. I can barely justify this to myself to get a vehicle for just 18-24 months, that self-argument becomes even harder to convince myself (let alone my wife lol) if it's just a year or less. Redeye version maybe....better Uconnect, eh I'd rather have it for this spring/summer.

I’m pretty sure someone was walking away from a hydro blue build in D status similar to your specs in Colorado in a previous thread

I don't mind a drive for a couple hours, I've done that before, but CO is a bit far lol. And by the time I were to pay for shipping, I'd be in the same boat as paying over sticker at other ones closer.

Road trip! Plus you’d get your break in mileage done on the first drive

Last edited:
lol yeah that's a bit far even for a road trip. It'd be more miles than I drive in 6 months haha

Found a couple local dealers willing to go MSRP, now it's just figuring out which one to go with.

Nice man, don’t pay over sticker. Zero reason to take additional hit on depreciation on a new truck that’s far from “limited edition” that some dealerships claim.

Yup that's a non-starter. I don't even like paying sticker, but I'm being realistic on a 1st year vehicle like this. Still debating on even getting it to know I'll eat the depreciation in 18-24 months, plus the sales tax lost on buying it to sell down the road. With EV's in NJ there's no sales tax, so I wouldn't reap any benefit on even trading it in when I get my CyberTruck. Yet, I'm addicted to boost, so I'm still entertaining it LOL

Never sell that SRT-10 that was the dumbest decision I ever made. LOVE that truck.

Yup that's a non-starter. I don't even like paying sticker, but I'm being realistic on a 1st year vehicle like this. Still debating on even getting it to know I'll eat the depreciation in 18-24 months, plus the sales tax lost on buying it to sell down the road. With EV's in NJ there's no sales tax, so I wouldn't reap any benefit on even trading it in when I get my CyberTruck. Yet, I'm addicted to boost, so I'm still entertaining it LOL
Depreciation won't be bad on this truck. I tagged you in another thread about a TR2 Hydroblue at MSRP.

Trackhawks are pushing close to 90% of MSRP right now for 2019s where I am. The sales tax thing is a bummer tho.

Never sell that SRT-10 that was the dumbest decision I ever made. LOVE that truck.

lol, I bought it 2 years ago, just as another "flip truck" to drive for a year or two then flip and onto the next....something basically I wouldn't lose any money on but could drive for a couple years to enjoy then sell for what I paid. Well after just a year I've grown to love it so much I don't plan to ever sell it. Just too stupid of a vehicle....I mean who needs a V10 viper engine with a 6 speed manual in a regular cab pickup truck? It's so impractical I love it haha. It's not even all that fast IMO, it's just fun to drive and different. I could easily make a few grand selling it from what I paid, but I've got no intentions to. It's only got 26k miles on it too. It's a keeper!

Depreciation won't be bad on this truck. I tagged you in another thread about a TR2 Hydroblue at MSRP.

Trackhawks are pushing close to 90% of MSRP right now for 2019s where I am. The sales tax thing is a bummer tho.

That's sort of what's going in in the argument in my head lol. I'd be around 5k miles a year, so it'd be a ~10k mile truck in 2 years when I will likely end up selling it. I'd think that'd still grab a pretty penny. I haven't watched the hellcat market too closely though. It did seem trackhawks were in the 80-90k range though new weren't they, and I thought I recall seeing them pretty frequent for 60k range. I don't want to take a 20-30k bath for 2 years. Could have been higher mileage TH's though.

The other side is, my gen 1 raptor that I'm selling for either the TRX or holding then selling for my CT isn't really losing anything depreciation wise either. Especially with the gen 3 raptor now still being v6, the gen 1's have held value being v8. And even the Raptor R returning the V8, it's going to be another 18 months for that to hit, and same deal near a 6 figure truck. Still leaves a good used market for a clean gen 1. My extent of offroading is the occasional dirt road lol, so my truck is still mint. Paid 51k back in 2012 (3k under MSRP for a loaded raptor minus sunroof), and 9 years later still easily worth 34-35k. Pretty decent! And heck I bet still in the 33-34 range another 18-24 months from now lol.

Decisions decisions!

lol, I bought it 2 years ago, just as another "flip truck" to drive for a year or two then flip and onto the next....something basically I wouldn't lose any money on but could drive for a couple years to enjoy then sell for what I paid. Well after just a year I've grown to love it so much I don't plan to ever sell it. Just too stupid of a vehicle....I mean who needs a V10 viper engine with a 6 speed manual in a regular cab pickup truck? It's so impractical I love it haha. It's not even all that fast IMO, it's just fun to drive and different. I could easily make a few grand selling it from what I paid, but I've got no intentions to. It's only got 26k miles on it too. It's a keeper!

That's sort of what's going in in the argument in my head lol. I'd be around 5k miles a year, so it'd be a ~10k mile truck in 2 years when I will likely end up selling it. I'd think that'd still grab a pretty penny. I haven't watched the hellcat market too closely though. It did seem trackhawks were in the 80-90k range though new weren't they, and I thought I recall seeing them pretty frequent for 60k range. I don't want to take a 20-30k bath for 2 years. Could have been higher mileage TH's though.

The other side is, my gen 1 raptor that I'm selling for either the TRX or holding then selling for my CT isn't really losing anything depreciation wise either. Especially with the gen 3 raptor now still being v6, the gen 1's have held value being v8. And even the Raptor R returning the V8, it's going to be another 18 months for that to hit, and same deal near a 6 figure truck. Still leaves a good used market for a clean gen 1. My extent of offroading is the occasional dirt road lol, so my truck is still mint. Paid 51k back in 2012 (3k under MSRP for a loaded raptor minus sunroof), and 9 years later still easily worth 34-35k. Pretty decent! And heck I bet still in the 33-34 range another 18-24 months from now lol.

Decisions decisions!
I had been looking for a good deal on a Trackhawk for almost a year before the TRX. I have never seen a trackhawk for 60k even with high miles and a bad carfax. Might be my area tho. I have 250 miles of me tabbed on cars.com and autotrader and the lowest trackhawk I have seen was pre-covid at 68k but that had over 70k miles and a bad carfax. Trackhawk prices had dipped late 2019 and I missed it like a loser lol. My friend bought a used one for 74k....owned it for a full year......traded it in last summer for 76k. The dealer sold it for mid 80s. The cheapest trackhawk around me right now is a 2018 at 80k with 21k miles and another 2018 for 88k with 12k miles.

It is hard to guess value hold on the TRX cause its so new and it comes down to how many they produce into the market and if they tank value with large rebates. Ford doesn't do rebates on Raptors at all which is why they hold well.....picked up my 2019 Raptor for 70k and I can get 63k trade for it right now. 7k for 2 years ain't bad. But I got it 5k below MSRP. You know what us young and dumb kids say. YOLO haha. Good luck in the hunt man.

I had been looking for a good deal on a Trackhawk for almost a year before the TRX. I have never seen a trackhawk for 60k even with high miles and a bad carfax. Might be my area tho. I have 250 miles of me tabbed on cars.com and autotrader and the lowest trackhawk I have seen was pre-covid at 68k but that had over 70k miles and a bad carfax. Trackhawk prices had dipped late 2019 and I missed it like a loser lol. My friend bought a used one for 74k....owned it for a full year......traded it in last summer for 76k. The dealer sold it for mid 80s. The cheapest trackhawk around me right now is a 2018 at 80k with 21k miles and another 2018 for 88k with 12k miles.

It is hard to guess value hold on the TRX cause its so new and it comes down to how many they produce into the market and if they tank value with large rebates. Ford doesn't do rebates on Raptors at all which is why they hold well.....picked up my 2019 Raptor for 70k and I can get 63k trade for it right now. 7k for 2 years ain't bad. But I got it 5k below MSRP. You know what us young and dumb kids say. YOLO haha. Good luck in the hunt man.
that's a good point, when I was itching for a TH it was 2019 and before COVID hit and prices seemed to climb.

That's my internal debate now though, 5k-10k depreciation over 2 years I can live with that. As you said, YOLO lol. Just don't want to eat 15-20. I know Ram isn't part of the Dodge Power Days, but those 7k-8k discounts are definitely appealing. My long term plans is pick up a demon, but I'm aiming for the 7-8 year window. Seems to be the sweet spot for bottom of market on most vehicle before they hit the ~10-12 year mark and start to climb back up in prices. Hard to gauge the TRX depreciation aside from comparing it to a raptor which has held up decently well.

Responses I've gotten:

View attachment 4818View attachment 4819View attachment 4820View attachment 4821
Nice RC SRT10...I have one too...2005 RC with 9000 miles...my garage queen!

Attachments

• IMG_20170624_153715.jpg
    IMG_20170624_153715.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 9

Responses I've gotten:

For what it’s worth many of us thought we understood the process but it turns out FCA doesn’t always play by the rules. I think most people thought there had to be an allocation early on for a 2021 which was true up until I think January when FCA opened another round of allocations and now it looks like either a third round has hit or it is wide open because we see people post new orders all the time now.

I myself waited to order in December from a dealership that did not have an allocation. I doing so I was doing them a favor by giving them a sold order on the books in return I secured pricing below MSRP. It was a gamble because there was no way of knowing if they would be able to pick up an allocation. Turns out my sold order was picked up One month after I placed the order and The dealership now has an allocation and I picked up a VIN and moved to D status. So it is possible to get an allocation for a dealership by placing an order but there is no guarantee. Be prepared to wait.

As for a refund on a deposit it really depends on the dealership and I would guess the reason for cancelation. Some dealership have been good with refunds and as we have seen from posts on the forum some dealerships kept all or part of a deposit. I would think most dealerships would be ok with a refund for anything D status or prior. Once it goes into D1 the dealership will eventually get the truck. If you were to cancel at D status or before that the dealership would not get stuck with the truck. But hey yo never know. One think we have found in this forum is that there are some real dirtbag dealerships out there and there does seem to be a pattern. If they ask for ADM it appears you are more likely to lose the deposit no mater what status you are in.

Back