aFe or S&B intake?

amill94

TRX Fanatic
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 TRX
Hey guys,

Looking for some feedback on intakes. These two seem to be the most popular. Just wondering if there are any cons with either of them? I'm looking for a little more supercharger whine while keeping the off road capabilities of the stock airbox. It seems like they are both great options from what I've read. If you could give me your feedback positive or negative on either, that'd be great.

Thanks!

I installed the S&B on my truck and am extremely happy with it. If not going offroad with it and only wanted the whine, I'd have done the bwoody. The S&B gives you more whine but still utilizes the ram air system and has an enclosed box. The only thing I didn't like about it was the tiny washers they give you to bolt it to the support crossbar and the hose clamps for the intake tube. Other than that, no complaints. (You can also take the acrylic cover off for more whine when on the road)

In the market for CAI myself.

Not sure if you're aware, but K&N will soon have a similar system - Sept or Oct production if I'm not mistaken?

I'll likely hold off till there's a bit more info on the K&N system, but between the S&B and AFE I'd go S&B purely based on looks.

Sound / performance wise I suspect they would be very similar, but other factors such as fit/finish that @MyWifeLetMe mentioned may be worth considering too.

The only thing I didn't like about it was the tiny washers they give you to bolt it to the support crossbar and the hose clamps for the intake tube.
Yup, had to get fender washers and paint them (and the bolts) black. But still totally worth it. Being able to run without the lid for more noise, and being able to get a custom engraved lid are really cool options that nothing else offers.

I have afe and she sounds great.

Also have the afe and love it! It’s also now CARB legal! Added plus!

Yup, had to get fender washers and paint them (and the bolts) black. But still totally worth it. Being able to run without the lid for more noise, and being able to get a custom engraved lid are really cool options that nothing else offers.
Yep, I did the same with the bolts and washers

Love the S&B but those clamps are a PITA. I check the attachment at the throttle body every oil change. Sure as shit I had some movement when inspecting it this weekend. I'm not sure how much more these clamps can take before they say f off and explode.😅

In the market for CAI myself.

Not sure if you're aware, but K&N will soon have a similar system - Sept or Oct production if I'm not mistaken?

I'll likely hold off till there's a bit more info on the K&N system, but between the S&B and AFE I'd go S&B purely based on looks.

Sound / performance wise I suspect they would be very similar, but other factors such as fit/finish that @MyWifeLetMe mentioned may be worth considering too.
Had the K&N been out when I was looking, I might have gotten one, or atleast waited to hear about fit/finish and performance. But it does look like they are using a similar filter to the S&B, so I think the performance part of it will be very close to S&B and the AFE systems

aFe's new Magnum force is a copy of the S&B.
Screenshot_20230801_114506_Samsung Internet~2.jpg
Screenshot_20230801_114514_Samsung Internet~2.jpg
Screenshot_20230801_114347_Samsung Internet~2.jpg

aFe here - FWIW, they claim it makes a little more power than the S&B, but I'm sure in reality is negligible. Half the reason I went with aFe was to retain the raptor getting chomped lol

One heck of a good video man. I've sent that to customers to reference. I really appreciate you putting that together. It's been a great source of visuals for us, including myself.

No way I didn’t know. How do u get the sticker ?
You can go to their website. I already received mine 👍 they actually sent me two stickers. You just have to fill out the form with the intake m/n and your vin.

Back