Acceptable Mileage for New Vehicle

UBo32

TRX Fan
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2016 Ram Sport
So... what happens when one of us goes to pick up our truck, and there's 100+ miles on it? Does this happen? Presumably mileage put on by the dealership employees, etc.

What's an "acceptable" number of miles for a new vehicle? Generally speaking; and, not necessarily to the TRX.

Nowwhat

TRX Fiend
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
F250, Urus, KTM
How many miles is it from assembly floor to rail car to car hauler to dealer to gas pump to the front parking space in front of showroom?

2.35..... I googled it....

Garrett Bobby Ferguson

TRX Junkie
Founding Member
Reaction score
Tell the dealer you want minimal prep. If you can, tell the dealer that you will be there when it’s delivered. Before they do any prep check the mileage and clear out the top speed (they will probably be dyno’ed at the factory so they will show a top speed in the hundreds). Should be less than 10 miles.

CRS2879

TRX Fan
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2017 F-250 Lariat FX4
Current Ride #2
2015 Mustang GT (Supercharged)
Military
Army
Rare to see a new car that doesn't have somewhere from 3-5 miles on it just from shuffling it around at the factory, rail yards, dealer lot, etc. I guess the flip side is what would you do if you show up to take delivery of your TRX and it has 50, 75, 100 miles on it? Not likely they'll have another one sitting there so do you take it or leave it?

Caliche

Staff member
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 TRX
Current Ride #2
2021 Can-Am Commander Max
Rare to see a new car that doesn't have somewhere from 3-5 miles on it just from shuffling it around at the factory, rail yards, dealer lot, etc. I guess the flip side is what would you do if you show up to take delivery of your TRX and it has 50, 75, 100 miles on it? Not likely they'll have another one sitting there so do you take it or leave it?
I’d like to know who from this group of impatient humans would say leave it.... not me.

KnightMare

Staff member
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
'21 Outlander XMR, '19 Sprinter 144, '19 Accord, '18 ZX-10rr, '15 Caravan, '17 Fusion, '12 Pasat CC, '11 ZX-10r, '04 Avalanche
Current Ride #2
'67 Pontiac GTO, '67 Lemans Convertible, '69 Camaro, '69 Chevelle, '70 Chevelle, '70 Chevelle
I'll be that one that won't buy a vehicle because it has too many pre delivery miles on it. There's one dealership that I backed out on a deal on said the owner and some higher ups like to drive the vehicles from time to time and that's why majority have a few hundreds miles on them. Trying to sell me a F250 with like 200 miles on it and to me I consider it was used.

My manual Challenger RT had like 3 miles on it. My manual Hellcat had like 5 or 6 miles. I always take a picture before I drive off and keep that odometer statement. I had a lemon vehicle once that barely qualified because of mileage and the odometer paperwork saved my bacon.

Mopar78

TRX Fan
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2014 Ram SWB RC 4x4
Military
Army
I'm planning on being there when mine is delivered. If I'm not able to, I'm going to insist that they take picture/video's of it when it arrives. Particularly of the odometer. The way I have it figured, if they want to take it for a joy ride, they should credit you for every mile off the price. I want to break it in properly and do not want others to drive it. It's my truck.

F8Demon

TRX Junkie
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
Dodge Demon and 2021 Hydro Blue TRX
When ordering, should be about 10 or less, there is some testing they do on SRT vehicles. That's what my demon and hellcat had on them. Now if your just buying a new vehicle off the lot, it could be up to a couple hundred due to test drives or transferring dealerships.
When I have ordered, I have always given the instructions of no one drives or sits in it.

Brad1331

TRX Fiend
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Silver TRX
I’d like to know who from this group of impatient humans would say leave it.... not me.
Because Ram already said whoever orders one will get one there are several things that would make me ask for my deposit back and walk and wait a few more months for one from a dealer that deserved my business including if a vehicle I custom ordered had more than 15 miles on the odometer...Don't get me wrong it would be hard but I have walked for less like a dealer refusing to drop Doc fees or come down on the negotiated price of the car the amount of the fee....

Gravy

TRX Noob
Reaction score
Current Ride
2020 Rebel
Military
No
The early examples likely were “shaken down” at the assembly plant. This is a good thing. Also, assembly plant execs may drive some a few days, looking for issues.

Then there is the most likely cause - your dealer sales manager demanded to drive it before selling it. Inflated ego types need to show off for the neighborhood.

RAM TRX Forum Supporting Member Badge

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Sam Leman Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram Morton