A New Chew Toy for the TRX!!

What is suprising to me is that gm is stepping their high performance game at the same time that dodge is killing the helcat... Kind of weird?
They do seem extremely late to the game. I wouldn't be surprised if the hellcat gets extended a bit.

At least GM is finally doing something else with the LT4 engine.
Hard to guess the GM "logic" but if the LT4 is going into a Caddie, will they build a special truck (like TRX) for the LT4 or just slap it into a 1500 and call it Super Sport????????? I am guessing Super Sport.

What is suprising to me is that gm is stepping their high performance game at the same time that dodge is killing the helcat... Kind of weird?
The CT5 blackwing motor needs to be spread across more than one platform and this is an easy way to do so. They likely already had plans for building a certain amount of engines and need to find where to put them.

They also are a couple years ahead of Stellantis on the EV side so that offsets their need to reduce gas guzzlers.

I am very interested in this and have been tracking it for a few months now. In my world it's awsome, because my wife already has a 21 esv which I have to drive alot. It's a nice vehicle but it seems lackluster after driving the trx all day. So, if I can talk her into a v esv that will improve upon my current situation. I think some of you need to look into it a little more before you pass judgement on it. It's not just a supercharger. It's big brakes, active exhaust, steering, suspension, shift points, and throttle mapping with a customizable v mode that seems similar to helcat platforms. It does not have the supercharger from the zl1 it has a much larger one on it. It seems like they did it right. Like a trackhawk on steroids. That was my only complaint with my trackhawk was it was to small for a family trip and not very comfy. To me having a v would take away the embarrassment of driving an old people's car at the age of 30... Like some of you mentioned the markups could be a problem if they handle it poorly. I would not pay 200 for a v. I would pay 150 all day long though because I can sell mine for what I paid for it.
The only way GM can handle this will be poorly because they put themselves in this situation where they came up with this hyper/super SUV that they have Zero chance of producing enough to meet the demand. (Exhibit A, the HummerEV)
GM can't even produce enough Base bare-bone Escalades to meet the demand.
I know Hendrick has all their branches selling at MSRP, so maybe hit up their Cadillac dealers and see what they say. Good choice going with the ESV, I feel like there will be less competition for that one since most will want the standard wheel base.

At least GM is finally doing something else with the LT4 engine.
Hard to guess the GM "logic" but if the LT4 is going into a Caddie, will they build a special truck (like TRX) for the LT4 or just slap it into a 1500 and call it Super Sport????????? I am guessing Super Sport.
It's a different engine than the LT4, apparently the supercharger is bigger than the one that's used for the LT4.
Also a different engine from the Blackwing other Cadillacs use.
I think it would be very strange for them to only use this in an Escalade. Maybe they bring it to the Yukons and/or Sierra/Silverado.

It's a different engine than the LT4, apparently the supercharger is bigger than the one that's used for the LT4.
I think it would be very strange for them to only use this in an Escalade. Maybe they bring it to the Yukons and/or Sierra/Silverado.
The motor is nearly identical to the Blackwing from what I've read. The biggest change is the bigger blower though. It is a 2.7 vs 1.4. That's a big jump

The motor is nearly identical to the Blackwing from what I've read. The biggest change is the bigger blower though. It is a 2.7 vs 1.4. That's a big jump
Its the same LT4 with the same 1.7L blower with just a bit more intake air flow, which gives them the slightly higher HP (18) and torque (9).

MuscleCarsAndTrucks report on the Blackwing:
Let’s start with the 6.2L LT4 V8 found in the CT5-V Blackwing. While not exactly a new lump of metal, this engine has been revised by the team at Cadillac to make it even more potent than we’ve become accustomed to. The LT4 is a single cam engine with two overhead valves per cylinder, with direct injection and variable valve timing. Instead of complicated modern turbochargers, boost is provided by a 1.7L four-lobe Eaton roots-type blower.

Screenshot_20220513-124844_Chrome.jpg

Its the same LT4 with the same 1.7 blower. Looks like its a bit detuned from the Blackwing.
If it had a 2.7L blower, the HP would be in the HC RE range of 800. I dont believe the LT4 block could pass the 5/60 warranty longevity test with a factory installed 2.7 blower.

GMA report:
As for the power spec, the Cadillac Escalade-V will cradle the supercharged 6.2L V8 LT4 gasoline engine, the same powerplant found in the Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, third-generation Cadillac CTS-V, Chevy Camaro ZL1, and C7 Corvette Z06. Output is highest in the CT5-V Blackwing, rated at 668 horsepower.

BIG NEWS would be Caddie installing the LT5 engine.....but they didnt!
No way GM was going to engineer an entirely new 6.2 for the Escalade. LT4 is tried and true, will outlast the warranty...which is ALL GM cares about!

Last edited:
Quick! Somebody better tell motor trend that they got their facts wrong!

Its the same LT4 with the same 1.7 blower. Looks like its a bit detuned from the Blackwing.
If it had a 2.7L blower, the HP would be in the HC RE range of 800. I dont believe the LT4 block could pass the 5/60 warranty longevity test with a factory installed 2.7 blower.

GMA report:
As for the power spec, the Cadillac Escalade-V will cradle the supercharged 6.2L V8 LT4 gasoline engine, the same powerplant found in the Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, third-generation Cadillac CTS-V, Chevy Camaro ZL1, and C7 Corvette Z06. Output is highest in the CT5-V Blackwing, rated at 668 horsepower.

It has a 2.65L blower. They just likely run lower boost? Or the LT4 is much more stout than we think.

It has a 2.65L blower. They just likely run lower boost? Or the LT4 is much more stout than we think.
Quick! Somebody better tell motor trend that they got their facts wrong!
I stand corrected good sirs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2.65 blower !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Interesting, the HP is not where I would expect. Maybe they are spinning it slower, to reduce heat??????????

Giving credit where credit is due......At lease the Caddie comes with Brembo brakes!
MT:
Of course, stopping this huge SUV isn't for the weak, which is why Cadillac installed a Brembo brake package, complete with six-piston front calipers painted in a spicy shade of Edge Red. Both front and rear calipers clamp on to a set of Duralife rotors.

I stand corrected good sirs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2.65 blower !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Interesting, the HP is not where I would expect. Maybe they are spinning it slower, to reduce heat??????????
That would make sense. It runs the same amount of boost as the blackwing. Once someone throws on headers and full exhaust, this motor will really open up.

I am very interested in this and have been tracking it for a few months now. In my world it's awsome, because my wife already has a 21 esv which I have to drive alot. It's a nice vehicle but it seems lackluster after driving the trx all day. So, if I can talk her into a v esv that will improve upon my current situation. I think some of you need to look into it a little more before you pass judgement on it. It's not just a supercharger. It's big brakes, active exhaust, steering, suspension, shift points, and throttle mapping with a customizable v mode that seems similar to helcat platforms. It does not have the supercharger from the zl1 it has a much larger one on it. It seems like they did it right. Like a trackhawk on steroids. That was my only complaint with my trackhawk was it was to small for a family trip and not very comfy. To me having a v would take away the embarrassment of driving an old people's car at the age of 30... Like some of you mentioned the markups could be a problem if they handle it poorly. I would not pay 200 for a v. I would pay 150 all day long though because I can sell mine for what I paid for it.

If Ram can take a 1500 Limited and turn it into a TRX with a supercharger, beefier frame, active suspension, AWD system, new exhaust, shift points, paddle shifters, new interior, move the shifter to the center console, widen the the TRX, design a brand new front grille, new bumper, new hood, new wheels, skid plate protection, customizable drive modes from the Hellcat's for a 16k price increase...

I'm confident in saying the Escalade V is at least 20k overpriced and Cadillac wanted some ADM in their pockets. I think the V is an awesome SUV but 150k for a Cadillac? How much would a Escalade EV cost? Over 200k?

I'm just trying to figure out what it would compete against at that price point? GLS? Cayenne? Range Rover? Sure it'll have the power but it won't have the same luxury you would expect from a 150k vehicle. I can barely tell it looks different from the 77k version.

I think this should have been like a 25k increase over the Sport models. 115k would put it 15k over with the Hummer EV SUV. Way more respectable and would fly off the lots
The Escalade V is a unique segment for sure. Closest competitor is probably the Ranger Rover Sport SVR. The new Escalade's do have some pretty solid build quality compared to prior Escalades. I would say on par with the Audi RSQ8, GLS, and Range Rover SVR......they for sure priced themselves 10k too high but I imagine this will be a 1-2 model year run and very limited production count.

They have realized they can't build in quantity with these hand build high horsepower motor vehicles so reserve them for their top $$ customers. Begs the question on Z06 pricing. Wouldn't be all that surprised at this point if they made the Z06 150k to start. Like what else you gonna go buy? A Huracan at 240k?

Last edited:
It is possible that they could offer this vehicle for less, but why would they...? It comes standard loaded out with every option. A comparable regular escalade msrps for 120,000 but of course you can't buy one for that. In the north east Oklahoma area those dealerships that have any escalades are getting 130,000-140,000 all day long. My trackhawk msrp was right at 100,000 and frankly it felt cheaply made on the interior. However, at the end of the day, value is based on what you would be willing to pay for something. If some of you are not willing to pay 150,000 for this vehicle that is understandable. I am unwilling to pay the price for bmw's high performance suv because while it is super nice and fast, it is to small for 6 people. Hence the escalade v's appeal to me.

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers
Back