460 miles and leaking front diff

2TR

TRX Fan
Gallery
Reaction score
Yesterday I ran a few 0-60 runs (3.9) and then took the truck on a snow covered pond and throw a few donuts for about 30 seconds before I got a 4wd overheat message for about 1 second. I pulled off the ice and the message went away immediately. I looked under the truck and differential fluid/gear lube was running out near the front diff. Hard to pinpoint where with all the skid plates. Limped it home slowly 4 miles and was getting intermittent grinding. Going into shop tomorrow. Truck has smelled like paint/oil have been burning off during entire break in period, but thinking the front diff has been leaking the whole time. Also the left front rubber axle boot is leaking grease like another forum member had stated. So I have a mess underneath the truck and it's out of commission. Pretty disappointed especially since I had my Raptor friend out to show off my TRX.

Attachments

• 20210131_124029.jpg
    20210131_124029.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 677
  • 20210131_124048.jpg
    20210131_124048.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 546
  • 20210131_124042.jpg
    20210131_124042.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 547
Wow. Early build, early headaches. Got to watch these trucks like a hawk going forward.

I’ve had some fun with my TRX off road and straight aways ..... other then that oil temp sensor, she’s running like a beast
What happened with the sensor on yours?

Yesterday I ran a few 0-60 runs (3.9) and then took the truck on a snow covered pond and throw a few donuts for about 30 seconds before I got a 4wd overheat message for about 1 second. I pulled off the ice and the message went away immediately. I looked under the truck and differential fluid/gear lube was running out near the front diff. Hard to pinpoint where with all the skid plates. Limped it home slowly 4 miles and was getting intermittent grinding. Going into shop tomorrow. Truck has smelled like paint/oil have been burning off during entire break in period, but thinking the front diff has been leaking the whole time. Also the left front rubber axle boot is leaking grease like another forum member had stated. So I have a mess underneath the truck and it's out of commission. Pretty disappointed especially since I had my Raptor friend out to show off my TRX.
I waited way over 500 to start hitting it hard ....

I’ve had some fun with my TRX off road and straight aways ..... other then that oil temp sensor, she’s running like a beast
I have a 700 mile road trip...

My guy at the plant

Then my dealer

Then when I get home

I waited way over 500 to start hitting it hard ....
While I agree 460 miles is still in the break in period, they do want you to excercise full rpm range, and shifting at higher rpms manually when possible, while still limiting wide open throttle for prolonged periods, which I have followed pretty closely. But for the most part this all relates to engine break in, which has been phenomenal! My issues with the drivetrain are most concerning because I'm worried that it may have to do with the auto 4wd system constantly trying to lock in. Wish it was 2wd instead of 4wd auto.

Follow up: not so much a leaking front diff. Moreso an exploded front diff. Upon inspection the lead mechanic believes it was a poor cast. On both sides of the drain plug had small porous and shiny spots where it cracked. It looks like it had been leaking fluid through the porous part and when it got hot enough that's when it came apart. Now the struggle to find parts 🤦‍♂️

Attachments

• 633885059.jpg
    633885059.jpg
    559.1 KB · Views: 258
  • 633885075.jpg
    633885075.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 251
  • 633885105.jpg
    633885105.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 227
  • 633885129.jpg
    633885129.jpg
    508.5 KB · Views: 224
  • 633885150.jpg
    633885150.jpg
    552.6 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Follow up: not so much a leaking front diff. Moreso an exploded front diff. Upon inspection the lead mechanic believes it was a poor cast. On both sides of the drain plug the pot metal had small porous and shiny spots where it cracked. It looks like it had been leaking fluid through the porous part and when it got hot enough that's when it came apart. Now the struggle to find parts 🤦‍♂️
Well shit. Sorry that sucks bad. Hopefully this is parts common to some other rams and your back running soon.

Hopefully was a single bad cast and not a lot wide issue.

this is beyond just a bad cast.... they removed some bolts and it was split all the way?

hot diff into slushy water thermal shock? should never happen...

could you have had a centrifugal load of the axle and bearings pushing against the diff housing because of the donuts in 4wd?....shouldnt be...

Were you doing donuts to the left?

Last edited:
this is beyond just a bad cast.... they removed some bolts and it was split all the way?

hot diff into slushy water thermal shock? should never happen...

could you have had a centrifugal load of the axle and bearings pushing against the diff housing because of the donuts in 4wd?....shouldnt be...

Were you doing donuts to the left?

You can hear right around 25 seconds when it breaks. And if this truck can't handle this type of driving then what's the point. I had mentioned earlier that all during break in there was a warm smell outside the cab. That was most likely diff fluid leaking back onto the exhaust.

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com
Back