20 miles home from dealer and dumping oil everywhere...

Some positive news, while @RamCares has not contacted me, the GM Jose at Castle Rock RAM gave me a call with a detailed update. Getting truck on lift, service Mgr has opened case, they contacted the area Ram manager, etc.

He also said he is sending someone out to clean my driveway, whether Ram reimburses him or not.

I did ask them to measure how much oil was left and if it needs factory break-in oil.

More to come.
That's great! How much oil was left also may determine if any possible damage was done to the engine. Even then, they should throw in an extended warranty on it just incase imo.

That's great! How much oil was left also may determine if any possible damage was done to the engine. Even then, they should throw in an extended warranty on it just incase imo.
Weird. Your autocorrect changes “demon motor in” into “extended warranty on”

Not at all kidding
I hope you guys are kidding, which I think you are. I take pics and put bolts back if removing things like shocks as placeholders, use a tackle box like bin for each portion as I disassemble, left to right in the bins. Goal is never to see an extra ;)

GM called me, it blew an oil fitting line. I never hit more than half throttle, luckily. It lost at least 2 quarts. No special break-in oil.
While annoying and potentially catastrophic. At least it was only that. Although it seems strange since they run the motor before installing. Maybe they use special lines in the engine test then reconnect when in the truck?

How long will it be down?

the oil cap in the 720s has a double click to fully seat. Went to a mclaren track event. They have techs there to check all is good before you go on track. To make things better, you can’t even access the motor without a special tool.

so I’m doing my first 30 minute hot lap session at Thermal. 20 minutes in I see lots of smoke. Pull in. Oil cap had popped and dumped oil all over the hot block,etc. I still don’t understand how it didn’t catch fire.

While annoying and potentially catastrophic. At least it was only that. Although it seems strange since they run the motor before installing. Maybe they use special lines in the engine test then reconnect when in the truck?

the oil cap in the 720s has a double click to fully seat. Went to a mclaren track event. They have techs there to check all is good before you go on track. To make things better, you can’t even access the motor without a special tool.

so I’m doing my first 30 minute hot lap session at Thermal. 20 minutes in I see lots of smoke. Pull in. Oil cap had popped and dumped oil all over the hot block,etc. I still don’t understand how it didn’t catch fire.
They said it is done, so I'm going to get it, but want to see exactly what came off and what type of connection it is and I'll take pics and post it

At Subaru, we test every engine. And yes, the engine goes straight from the line to the test bench. All hoses are on test bench. Oil is drained and engine is sent to the hotel where it sits until its number is called.

Shouldn't the dealerships be doing a PDI inspection before delivery

Shouldn't the dealerships be doing a PDI inspection before delivery
I'm positive it must have come loose (or had no clamp or something) half way home. I want to see the connection. I bought with 20 miles on it, drove 20 miles home. A lot of these dealers have never seen one before, so not sure what actual certification they had to go through.

I'm positive it must have come loose (or had no clamp or something) half way home. I want to see the connection. I bought with 20 miles on it, drove 20 miles home. A lot of these dealers have never seen one before, so not sure what actual certification they had to go through.
Normally for halo cars they have specific techs for them. The only mechanics that touch your vehicle are certified. I don’t know how dodge/ram does it. Maybe they have a hellcat certification.

Well sounds good only 2 quarts dumped.. Hope they do the complete driveway for you ...

I looked, very tight under there. It lost a lot of oil, the whole undercarriage is soaked. and not a trace showing on the dipstick.

Called the dealer, they said call back Monday to arrange a tow back in. I don't have it in me at the moment to demand them come get it now or ask for a loaner.

not where it is coming from, but looks like a breather hose not connected and have a random screw under my seat... time for a pregame beer a day in advance.
View attachment 4091View attachment 4092
Hi @Jester, we are terribly sorry to see that this happened and would like to document and investigate this further for you. Please send our team a private message with your full name and VIN so that we may assist further.

Kathryn
Ram Cares

Hi @Jester, we are terribly sorry to see that this happened and would like to document and investigate this further for you. Please send our team a private message with your full name and VIN so that we may assist further.

Kathryn
Ram Cares
Thank you, will do

Normally for halo cars they have specific techs for them. The only mechanics that touch your vehicle are certified. I don’t know how dodge/ram does it. Maybe they have a hellcat certification.
My brother is my salesman. He said the dealership has 2 techs trained on the TRX. They’re the only ones to work on them or test drive them.

So @RamCares , I PMd you and tweeted you my VIN and my cell number, please call me.

Here is the write-up. Also the pic of the lines. One of them "popped" out/wasn't seated correctly.

Attachments

• 20210208_151259.jpg
    20210208_151259.jpg
    553.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 20210208_155251.jpg
    20210208_155251.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 80
So @RamCares , I PMd you and tweeted you my VIN and my cell number, please call me.

Here is the write-up. Also the pic of the lines. One of them "popped" out/wasn't seated correctly.
Well that is a good thing that they fixed it....
So is the consensus that no permanent damage occurred?

Well that is a good thing that they fixed it....
So is the consensus that no permanent damage occurred?
No clue. I want a guarantee on the motor and supercharger.

No clue. I want a guarantee on the motor and supercharger.
ABSOLUTELY... Should be a lifetime one at that... Good Luck

Back