2-Way Radio & Antenna Mounting and Wiring

The bulletproofdiesel one looks gorgeous but I can’t help the feeling that they are charging a “TRX tax” they offer the exact same thing(2 antenna, BD lights) for only $600.
I think it might be also the design change. Because I think the one you are talking about - the antenna mounts basically sit “on top” of the mount. This one they are more recessed into the mount - looks cleaner i think.

I think it might be also the design change. Because I think the one you are talking about - the antenna mounts basically sit “on top” of the mount. This one they are more recessed into the mount - looks cleaner i think.

Attachments

• 8326E40F-130B-44A5-BD03-597A9A2DE17A.jpeg
    8326E40F-130B-44A5-BD03-597A9A2DE17A.jpeg
    331.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 27C57475-7B3D-473C-BF97-507E26589661.jpeg
    27C57475-7B3D-473C-BF97-507E26589661.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 7CB23D7C-F8AC-4FA0-91B3-A62B25E3F3B7.jpeg
    7CB23D7C-F8AC-4FA0-91B3-A62B25E3F3B7.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 124
It took us 14hrs excluding prep work from start to finish. The liner is pretty scary with the center pillars. Everything else is pretty smooth. There’s 1 6mm socket, a few 8mm, and a few 10mm. 2-3 different size Star screws. Plastic clips, and there’s metal clips exclusively in the rear pillars. You do not need to take the seat belts off, nor do you need to to fully drop the pillar plastics more than a couple inches. Highly recommend 2-3 people. You’ll want to extend the wires from the lights in the mount by at least 4-5ft so you can connect them outside the truck after routing them through the truck. We moved the metal clips you’ll find behind the oem lights. We canabalized the plastic washers from the oem screws and realized that the screws go through the unthreaded holes on the bracket. To route the cables through the firewall you’ll need to cut a hole through the emergency break flap and grommet.

It took us 14hrs excluding prep work from start to finish. The liner is pretty scary with the center pillars. Everything else is pretty smooth. There’s 1 6mm socket, a few 8mm, and a few 10mm. 2-3 different size Star screws. Plastic clips, and there’s metal clips exclusively in the rear pillars. You do not need to take the seat belts off, nor do you need to to fully drop the pillar plastics more than a couple inches. Highly recommend 2-3 people.
I have to say - that the final products looks mint - but I am feeling a bit like "WTF was i thinking" when I watched the video and read it took you 14 hours and multiple people. DAMN IT this was supposed to be EASY!!!! So far, I have opened the mount, looked at it - admired the paint finish and screwed on some little antenna rain covers (also metal - paint matched perfectly). I don't think I want to run the antenna wire - thinking maybe I can just leave it bundled up somewhere in the headliner...or if that's too heavy maybe behind the rear seats.... I really just want the stupid amber lights functioning with one of my AUX switches. Are your running a radio? Also - how do you feel about the water proofness of everything after install? Right now my truck is at TX Tint getting the stealth wrap so I haven't had much time to explore taking my truck apart yet.

I have to say - that the final products looks mint - but I am feeling a bit like "WTF was i thinking" when I watched the video and read it took you 14 hours and multiple people. DAMN IT this was supposed to be EASY!!!! So far, I have opened the mount, looked at it - admired the paint finish and screwed on some little antenna rain covers (also metal - paint matched perfectly). I don't think I want to run the antenna wire - thinking maybe I can just leave it bundled up somewhere in the headliner...or if that's too heavy maybe behind the rear seats.... I really just want the stupid amber lights functioning with one of my AUX switches. Are your running a radio? Also - how do you feel about the water proofness of everything after install? Right now my truck is at TX Tint getting the stealth wrap so I haven't had much time to explore taking my truck apart yet.
If you were able to get the rear OEM mount out without taking down the headliner, you can fish the coax from the mount to the front, and once you extend the *very* short hot and grounds from the BPD mount (I'd recommend adding like 25ft to them), you can limit yourself to just removing the front driver A pillar plastics which is pretty straightforward. Then you just run the coax and amber hot/ground down behind the left of the dash, out through the emergency brake gromet, and up to the wiring hardness.

If you give yourself a weekend, take your time, and have a buddy or two help you it isn't the end of the world. You could probably also have a stereo place do the job for you.

@bman17 would you be able to post any more pictures of the final install?

I'm also curious how bright the yellow lights are (night vs day).

@bman17 would you be able to post any more pictures of the final install?

I'm also curious how bright the yellow lights are (night vs day).
I just got done doing a run with NCRR and made the revelation that the baja lights are the rock lights, not the s2's, so they aren't very bright. After being behind S2 sport and pro's, I'm torn on whether or not im happy that it's ~1/2 the lumens. On one hand, the s2 pros' are way too bright to follow. I think BFD should have went with the S2 sports. I otherwise am happy with the mount itself so far.
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/led-rock-light/?page=1&vid=609755372 (400 lumens)

vs

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/s2-sport-black-led-auxiliary-light-pod/?page=1&vid=609755372 (~1100 lumens)

I'd look for youtube videos comparing Baja rock vs S2 Pro's.

I just got done doing a run with NCRR and made the revelation that the baja lights are the rock lights, not the s2's, so they aren't very bright. After being behind S2 sport and pro's, I'm torn on whether or not im happy that it's ~1/2 the lumens. On one hand, the s2 pros' are way too bright to follow. I think BFD should have went with the S2 sports. I otherwise am happy with the mount itself so far.
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/led-rock-light/?page=1&vid=609755372 (400 lumens)

vs

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/s2-sport-black-led-auxiliary-light-pod/?page=1&vid=609755372 (~1100 lumens)

I'd look for youtube videos comparing Baja rock vs S2 Pro's.
I appreciate the feedback. I’m kind of on the fence with Baja Design vs the Rigid setup.

I've had good luck with the thru glass antenna made by midland been using them for years.

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers
Back